Note: Podcast hosts Erin and Ryan are currently enjoying a holiday away. They offer their episode from last season’s recorded episode for Couch2Con, originally posted on 8/12/14.
Episode Couch2Con [Repost]
In Erin and Ryan’s Couch2Con episode, they talk to Cory Jones, Jason Tagmire, and Makenzie Cameron about pitching games at conventions.
Welcome back to Vox Republica, the Cardboard Republic Podcast!
We post new episodes every Thursday, with each episode being about 20 – 30 minutes long.
DESCRIPTION: This special episode was recorded for the Couch2Con project, used as a means to get people into walking practice for convention season. Erin and Ryan talk to a number of industry folk about pitching games at conventions.
GUEST: Cory Jones of Cryptozoic Entertainment, and game designers Jason Tagmire, and Makenzie Cameron.
RECENTLY PLAYED GAMES:
- Being a designer looking to pitch at a larger convention.
- Which approaches work to catch the attention of publishers? And which don’t?
- Are there any helpful organizations for up-and-coming designers?
- Are conventions even necessary for designer success?
- Red flags to avoid in a pitch.
- How to maximize your pitch’s effectiveness.
- Being a publisher being pitched to at a convention.
- What qualities they look for when designers approach them.
- The difference between a scheduled and unscheduled pitch.
- Does a publisher’s personal game preferences impact your odds of success?
- The three essential questions a designer has to be able to answer in a pitch.
Audio Credits: Intro music track is “Swing!” by Bargo!, used under Creative Commons license.