Welcome back to Vox Republica, the Cardboard Republic Podcast!
We post new episodes every other Thursday, with each episode being about 45 minutes long.
Vox Republica is proudly supported by our Patreon. Consider contributing today!
DESCRIPTION: This week, Erin and Ryan talk about a few games they managed to get played, announce some Gen Con plans, and Ryan tries to guess the Gen Con sleeper hit. Then they interview designer John Clair on his innovating Card Crafting system.
GUESTS: John Clair
RECENTLY PLAYED GAMES – (01:24):
- Qwixx by Gamewright Games (BGG Link)
- Macroscope by Mayday Games (BGG Link)
- Saga of the Northmen by Minion Games (BGG Link)
- Valley of the Kings: Last Rites by AEG (BGG Link)
QUICK TOPICS – (13:11):
- We’re doing a Gen Con panel! If you’re going, come check out Cardboard Quills: A Written Reviewer Roundtable – a written reviewer Q&A. (If you can’t make it, feel free to still leave a question you’d like asked and we can see if we can get it answered!)
- We list our five Gen Con games of personal note that aren’t going to make many Top Ten Gen Con lists. Then Ryan tries to postulate on the sleeper hit of the con.
FEATURED TOPIC – (32:53):
- We speak to John Clair about Mystic Vale, Edge of Darkness, and Custom Heroes regarding his creative and innovative ‘Card Crafting System’, where you upgrade the abilities of cards in the game by use of card sleeves. We ask him about several avenues of this including:
- How the idea originated
- Why Edge of Darkness has taken so long to come to market (and maybe when it’s finally going to…)
- Where you can play Edge of Darkness during Gen Con
- And more!
PLUGS – (1:14:37):
- We’re raffling off a copy of Unlock to a lucky Patreon backer. Consider donating today!
- As always, Cardboard Republic YouTube videos, Instagram pictures, and the BGG Guild are still ongoing. Subscribe to one or two – or all of them if you really love us. You do really love us, right?
Audio Credits: Intro music track is “Swing!” by Bargo!, used under Creative Commons license.