Note: A prior release of this episode had a corrupted upload that has since been fixed
Welcome back to Vox Republica, the Cardboard Republic Podcast!
We post new episodes every Thursday, with each episode being about 20 – 30 minutes long.
DESCRIPTION: Ryan and Erin touch base about the games they’ve busted out lately before bringing in R. Eric Reuss, designer of the reverse colonialism game Spirit Island. He walks us through the evolution of Spirit Island, from the initial concept through the version we see today.
GUEST: R. Eric Reuss
RECENTLY PLAYED GAMES:
- Baseball Highlights 2045 by Eagle & Gryphon Games
- Seven7s by Eagle & Gryphon Games
- Portal by Cryptozoic Entertainment
- The Great Dinosaur Rush by APE Games
- Not two weeks after the announcement that Fantasy Flight announced the acquisition of Legend of the Five Rings, word has come out that they will be discontinuing their own LCG, Call of Cthulhu.
- We are guided by the creator of Spirit Island on the game’s creation and development.
- How he came up with the idea of a reverse colonialism co-op game
- Which mechanics survived the early stages to the version we see now
- The thematic origins of the game’s spirits and colonists
- The effect of the Greater Than Games team on streamlining the game
- What sort of room is there room for Spirit Island expansions?
- Coincidentally, our latest review is Sentinel Tactics, another title of Greater Than Games.
- As always, Cardboard Republic YouTube videos are still happening. Subscribe to stay on top of new releases!
Audio Credits: Intro music track is “Swing!” by Bargo!, used under Creative Commons license.