Welcome back to Vox Republica, the Cardboard Republic Podcast!
We post new episodes every Thursday, with each episode being about 20 – 30 minutes long.
DESCRIPTION: Erin and Ryan talk about Vassal’s Law and the myriad troubles that come with running extra long games.
RECENTLY PLAYED GAMES:
- Codenames by Czech Games Edition
- Mysterium by Portal Games
- Mascarade by Asmodee
- Shadowrift by Game Salute
- Forbidden Stars by Fantasy Flight Games
- We briefly address the topic of ‘Vasel’s Law’
- Massive, expansive and lengthy Big Box games can be a lot of fun…but they’re also a lot of commitment, in time, energy, and table space. We over up some tips on how to make your giant game day run smoothly, including:
- Plan ahead. Give yourself a solid block of time to run them without other schedules. Include extra time for pauses in game and to teach new players.
- Make sure everyone knows ahead of time what they’re getting into in terms of length of the game, genre of the game, difficulty of the game (co-op vs not), etc.
- Have a board game ‘GM’, or a player who knows the game really well and can guide everyone else through it. Designate them as the game arbiter for clarifications to keep the game moving.
- Take breaks. It helps to refocus people. Too long of a break, however, can have the opposite effect.
- Give it a dedicated focus. Make an event of it. Don’t try to squeeze it in between other things.
- We reviewed Mysterium
- As always, Cardboard Republic YouTube videos are still happening, though we’ve given our copy of Exodus away. There could be more in the future though, so subscribe!
Audio Credits: Intro music track is “Swing!” by Bargo!, used under Creative Commons license.