For many of us, the appreciation of today’s games result from the games of our past. Many of those games pale by today’s standards, and yet we often have fond memories of them. We look at what effect, if any, that nostalgia has on gamers and the hobby in general.
Welcome back to Vox Republica, the Cardboard Republic Podcast!
We post new episodes every Thursday, with each episode being about 20 – 30 minutes long.
DESCRIPTION: Ryan and Erin explore games of the present before diving into their past. This week is all about nostalgia in games. Plus, we also dive into the Origin and Dice Tower Award nominations.
RECENTLY PLAYED GAMES:
- Samurai Spirit
- Camel Up
- Disaster Looms!
- Origins & Dice Tower award nominations
- How nostalgia applies to gaming overall and how nostalgia has different effects
- Nostalgia for our youth
- Pixel art and 8-bit style games
- Nostalgia for theme exists, but does nostalgia for mechanics?
- Nostalgia for the earlier eras of modern gaming
- Throwback to the 70s and 90s
- Overlap with nostalgia for youth, depending on age
- Nostalgia in general
- Idealized versions of the past color appreciation of past gaming experiences
- Is popularity of games set in certain historical eras due to nostalgia?
- You don’t see too many modern farm games
Audio Credits: Intro music track is “Swing!” by Bargo!, used under Creative Commons license.