Welcome back to Vox Republica, the Cardboard Republic Podcast!
We post new episodes every other Thursday, with each episode being about 45 minutes long.
Vox Republica is proudly supported by our Patreon. Consider contributing today!
DESCRIPTION: It’s award season all over the place, including in the game world. Which, naturally, includes our own – second only to the Oscars, really. To kick that process off, this week Ryan and Erin chat about gaming awards and discuss the nominees for the 2017 Laurels! We also mention a handful of notable games played and an example of gaming news in the real world.
RECENTLY PLAYED GAMES – (01:19):
- Freedom: The Underground Railroad by Academy Games
- The Oracle of Delphi by Tasty Minstrel Games
- Escape the Room: Secret of Dr. Gravely’s Retreat by ThinkFun
- Tin Goose by Rio Grande Games
QUICK TOPICS – (22:31):
- Calling back to that whole idea of gaming not pretending the outside world doesn’t exist, we briefly mention the latest stunt by the Cards Against Humanity crowd, involving Secret Hitler and Congress.
- No gaming awards would be complete without discussing the Golden Geek awards. We briefly provide our thoughts on the 15 Game of the Year titles and make our predictions on who we think will win.
FEATURED TOPIC – (30:37):
- Continuing the talk about gaming awards, our featured topic this episode focuses on the 2016 Laurel nominees. We delve into how each of the games ended up as an archetype nominee and why they fit their category so well. You can check out the full list here.
PLUGS – (1:13:23):
- We’re also also raffling off a copy of The Blood Of An Englishman to a lucky Patreon backer. Consider donating today!
- As always, Cardboard Republic YouTube videos, Instagram pictures, and the BGG Guild are still ongoing. Subscribe to one or two – or all of them if you really love us. You do really love us, right?
Audio Credits: Intro music track is “Swing!” by Bargo!, used under Creative Commons license.