What Gamer Type are You?
1. You are sent to jail in Monopoly. How do you react?
"It was doubles that got me here; it'll be doubles that get me out."
"Whatever. I'll just roll."
"I can spare one of my Get out Jail Free Cards."
"Hey guys, come meet me at Just Visiting!"
"Jail? The whole game is annoying me."
"I'll pay the $50 and move on."
2. You and your colleagues / classmates have been assigned a paper that's due in a week. How do you approach the task?
Grab a blank page and just start writing.
Collect yourself and your materials, analyze the information you have, and start mapping a mental outline.
Dig into the pile of references you already have picked out.
Once you're comfortable with your resources, you find yourself a nice quiet corner and hammer it all out.
You give yourself a day for research, a day for organizing, and a day to write it.
Find a collaborator to talk about your plans.
3. It's a boring day at work. What are you doing to keep yourself from falling asleep?
Clicking your pen. Repeatedly.
Planning ahead. There might be something you can do now to save you some time when you're busy again.
Catching up on a bunch of little tasks that slipped through the cracks.
Chatting with your friends.
Re-organizing office supplies.
4. You're nearing the end of a lengthy game, and you will win on your final move. However, in order to win you'll have to betray a long-term ally. What are you thinking?
It really depends on the circumstances.
I'll do it only if I absolutely have to, and only if I'm safe from retribution.
Nah. It's only a game.
I'd prefer not to, but I've invested too much to stop now.
I didn't originally think I had a shot, but since I'm here...
In a heartbeat. It was an alliance of convenience anyway.
5. Which of the following game types seems the most appealing to you?
One with a good degree of chance
One with a rich story background
One with multiple paths to victory
One with high player interactions
One with clear goals
One with a variety of tactics
6. Of those listed, what was your favorite childhood game?
Red Light, Green Light
Hide and Seek
Duck, Duck Goose
7. The zombie apocalypse is upon us! What's your preferred method of survival?
Defend your base and command targeted missions out into the affected area.
Gather your friends together and hope you all make it. Somehow.
You've been waiting for this day. Time to head out and start wracking up the kill count.
You've watched movies on this. Grab your cricket bat and head for the nearest pub.
Stock up on the essentials and try to cope with the situation.
8. You're planning for a big evening party at your house. Where is your focus for it during the hours beforehand?
Whatever extra steps are necessary to make sure it's memorable.
Prep..ar..a..tion? None needed. These things just work themselves out.
Cleaning up the place and hiding the breakables.
Shopping to make sure you'll have enough food and drink for the guests.
Sending out last minute invitations and directions.
Making a great playlist.
9. What is your LEAST important factor when choosing a game to play?
Theme / Flavor
Rules / Mechanics
10. Your friend is explaining the rules to a new board game, and it's taking forever. What are you doing while he talks?
Playing close attention and thinking about how mechanics interact.
Texting your other friend under the table.
Glancing through all the text / imagery on the board.
Interrupting him every two minutes to ask questions.
Determing who to go after first.
Building towers out of your pieces.
11. You are playing a somewhat complex game for the first time with more experienced players. How will you approach the game?
Use the political power of conversation to offset in my gaps of understanding.
Make an educated guess on the best tactic to compete with the experienced players.
Try to figure out a basic strategy and see if it works.
Base your tactics off what feels most right within the game's theme.
Just wing it.
Find a way of acquiring resources while trying to upset the least amount of people.
12. If you could pick one of these game shows to be on, which would it be?
Deal or No Deal
Wheel of Fortune
Who Wants to Be A Millionaire
The Price is Right
13. Another player backstabs you at the beginning of a game. How do you react?
You don't know without more detail, as it would depend on many factors.
Plan cold, hard revenge.
Fortify your defenses, and build your strength until someone else weakens the other player. Then, strike with minimal losses.
It was well-played. You mostly ignore the strike and move on.
Tease them mercilessly for the rest of the night.
14. What is your opinion on the amount of chance in a game?
Lots of luck means I can focus more on the players than the rules.
Minimally. Skill should trump luck whenever possible.
I thrive on it. Luck is the great equalizer.
A necessary evil, but I prefer to avoid having all of my effort come down to a simple dice roll.
I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't determine everything I can do.
A little luck helps to enhance the overall experience.
15. Your dungeon-crawling adventuring party has come upon a treasure chest. What do you hope to find inside?
A detailed map for the rest of the dungeon
High quality gear
A quest-related item
Tomes containing lost history of the region
A disgruntled gnome