What Gamer Type are You?
1. What is your LEAST important factor when choosing a game to play?
Theme / Flavor
Rules / Mechanics
2. The zombie apocalypse is upon us! What's your preferred method of survival?
You've been waiting for this day. Time to head out and start wracking up the kill count.
Stock up on the essentials and try to cope with the situation.
You've watched movies on this. Grab your cricket bat and head for the nearest pub.
Gather your friends together and hope you all make it. Somehow.
Defend your base and command targeted missions out into the affected area.
3. Your friend brings over a brand new game for this week's game night and the box really impresses you. What do you like most about it?
Nothing. The box doesn't matter as long as the game is good.
The cleverly written description on the back.
For 5-20 players! We can all play at once!
It appears to be a fairly short, fast-paced game.
It has a nice clear objective posted.
All the different races, classes, and buildings laid out on the front.
4. You are sent to jail in Monopoly. How do you react?
"I can spare one of my Get out Jail Free Cards."
"Jail? The whole game is annoying me."
"Hey guys, come meet me at Just Visiting!"
"I'll pay the $50 and move on."
"It was doubles that got me here; it'll be doubles that get me out."
"Whatever. I'll just roll."
5. Your game was supposed to last two hours. It's currently going on hour number four with no sign of stopping. What do you do?
You burnt through all your strategies awhile ago. Now it's time for an all-out assault with the few pieces you have left.
What? Oh. Um...you stopped paying full attention about 3.5 hours ago.
If the game is developing in a fun way, you want to see where it ends up next.
Continue to acquire resources and build your troops. With enough forces, you could launch a final attack to end it all.
You're not sure how you've lasted this long, but you keep going. Now's the time to get really creative.
You don't complain. Supposedly, your elaborate turns and complex moves are the reason you're running so late to begin with.
6. You're nearing the end of a lengthy game, and you will win on your final move. However, in order to win you'll have to betray a long-term ally. What are you thinking?
I'd prefer not to, but I've invested too much to stop now.
It really depends on the circumstances.
In a heartbeat. It was an alliance of convenience anyway.
I'll do it only if I absolutely have to, and only if I'm safe from retribution.
I didn't originally think I had a shot, but since I'm here...
Nah. It's only a game.
7. You are playing a somewhat complex game for the first time with more experienced players. How will you approach the game?
Make an educated guess on the best tactic to compete with the experienced players.
Base your tactics off what feels most right within the game's theme.
Use the political power of conversation to offset in my gaps of understanding.
Find a way of acquiring resources while trying to upset the least amount of people.
Just wing it.
Try to figure out a basic strategy and see if it works.
8. Another player backstabs you at the beginning of a game. How do you react?
You don't know without more detail, as it would depend on many factors.
Plan cold, hard revenge.
Fortify your defenses, and build your strength until someone else weakens the other player. Then, strike with minimal losses.
It was well-played. You mostly ignore the strike and move on.
Tease them mercilessly for the rest of the night.
9. Your friend is explaining the rules to a new board game, and it's taking forever. What are you doing while he talks?
Glancing through all the text / imagery on the board.
Playing close attention and thinking about how mechanics interact.
Building towers out of your pieces.
Texting your other friend under the table.
Interrupting him every two minutes to ask questions.
Determing who to go after first.
10. Which of the following game types seems the most appealing to you?
One with a good degree of chance
One with multiple paths to victory
One with clear goals
One with a rich story background
One with high player interactions
One with a variety of tactics
11. If you could pick one of these game shows to be on, which would it be?
Wheel of Fortune
Deal or No Deal
Who Wants to Be A Millionaire
The Price is Right
12. It's a boring day at work. What are you doing to keep yourself from falling asleep?
Re-organizing office supplies.
Chatting with your friends.
Planning ahead. There might be something you can do now to save you some time when you're busy again.
Clicking your pen. Repeatedly.
Catching up on a bunch of little tasks that slipped through the cracks.
13. It's 1869 and you're arriving in a bustling frontier town from back east. What sort of job do you seek out?
I didn't come for a job. My intent is to find a nice piece of land and build a new home for myself.
A job on the railroad to keep from being in any one place too long.
Taverns are always fun, regardless of the era.
Banking is ideal for me in this new location.
As a jack of all trades, I'll go for whatever occupation the town is in the most need for.
Whichever one pays me the most.
14. Your dungeon-crawling adventuring party has come upon a treasure chest. What do you hope to find inside?
Tomes containing lost history of the region
A quest-related item
High quality gear
A disgruntled gnome
A detailed map for the rest of the dungeon
15. Of those listed, what was your favorite childhood game?
Duck, Duck Goose
Red Light, Green Light
Hide and Seek