What Gamer Type are You?
1. It's a boring day at work. What are you doing to keep yourself from falling asleep?
Catching up on a bunch of little tasks that slipped through the cracks.
Re-organizing office supplies.
Planning ahead. There might be something you can do now to save you some time when you're busy again.
Chatting with your friends.
Clicking your pen. Repeatedly.
2. Another player backstabs you at the beginning of a game. How do you react?
Plan cold, hard revenge.
Tease them mercilessly for the rest of the night.
Fortify your defenses, and build your strength until someone else weakens the other player. Then, strike with minimal losses.
You don't know without more detail, as it would depend on many factors.
It was well-played. You mostly ignore the strike and move on.
3. Your friend brings over a brand new game for this week's game night and the box really impresses you. What do you like most about it?
It has a nice clear objective posted.
Nothing. The box doesn't matter as long as the game is good.
It appears to be a fairly short, fast-paced game.
For 5-20 players! We can all play at once!
The cleverly written description on the back.
All the different races, classes, and buildings laid out on the front.
4. You're nearing the end of a lengthy game, and you will win on your final move. However, in order to win you'll have to betray a long-term ally. What are you thinking?
I didn't originally think I had a shot, but since I'm here...
Nah. It's only a game.
I'll do it only if I absolutely have to, and only if I'm safe from retribution.
It really depends on the circumstances.
I'd prefer not to, but I've invested too much to stop now.
In a heartbeat. It was an alliance of convenience anyway.
5. You're planning for a big evening party at your house. Where is your focus for it during the hours beforehand?
Shopping to make sure you'll have enough food and drink for the guests.
Prep..ar..a..tion? None needed. These things just work themselves out.
Cleaning up the place and hiding the breakables.
Sending out last minute invitations and directions.
Making a great playlist.
Whatever extra steps are necessary to make sure it's memorable.
6. The zombie apocalypse is upon us! What's your preferred method of survival?
Stock up on the essentials and try to cope with the situation.
You've been waiting for this day. Time to head out and start wracking up the kill count.
You've watched movies on this. Grab your cricket bat and head for the nearest pub.
Gather your friends together and hope you all make it. Somehow.
Defend your base and command targeted missions out into the affected area.
7. It's 1869 and you're arriving in a bustling frontier town from back east. What sort of job do you seek out?
Banking is ideal for me in this new location.
I didn't come for a job. My intent is to find a nice piece of land and build a new home for myself.
Taverns are always fun, regardless of the era.
Whichever one pays me the most.
A job on the railroad to keep from being in any one place too long.
As a jack of all trades, I'll go for whatever occupation the town is in the most need for.
8. What is your opinion on the amount of chance in a game?
I thrive on it. Luck is the great equalizer.
A necessary evil, but I prefer to avoid having all of my effort come down to a simple dice roll.
Minimally. Skill should trump luck whenever possible.
A little luck helps to enhance the overall experience.
Lots of luck means I can focus more on the players than the rules.
I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't determine everything I can do.
9. What is your LEAST important factor when choosing a game to play?
Rules / Mechanics
Theme / Flavor
10. Of those listed, what was your favorite childhood game?
Hide and Seek
Duck, Duck Goose
Red Light, Green Light
11. Your game was supposed to last two hours. It's currently going on hour number four with no sign of stopping. What do you do?
What? Oh. Um...you stopped paying full attention about 3.5 hours ago.
If the game is developing in a fun way, you want to see where it ends up next.
You're not sure how you've lasted this long, but you keep going. Now's the time to get really creative.
You don't complain. Supposedly, your elaborate turns and complex moves are the reason you're running so late to begin with.
Continue to acquire resources and build your troops. With enough forces, you could launch a final attack to end it all.
You burnt through all your strategies awhile ago. Now it's time for an all-out assault with the few pieces you have left.
12. You and your colleagues / classmates have been assigned a paper that's due in a week. How do you approach the task?
Grab a blank page and just start writing.
Collect yourself and your materials, analyze the information you have, and start mapping a mental outline.
Once you're comfortable with your resources, you find yourself a nice quiet corner and hammer it all out.
You give yourself a day for research, a day for organizing, and a day to write it.
Dig into the pile of references you already have picked out.
Find a collaborator to talk about your plans.
13. You are sent to jail in Monopoly. How do you react?
"Whatever. I'll just roll."
"I can spare one of my Get out Jail Free Cards."
"Jail? The whole game is annoying me."
"It was doubles that got me here; it'll be doubles that get me out."
"I'll pay the $50 and move on."
"Hey guys, come meet me at Just Visiting!"
14. Which of the following game types seems the most appealing to you?
One with a variety of tactics
One with clear goals
One with multiple paths to victory
One with high player interactions
One with a rich story background
One with a good degree of chance
15. Your dungeon-crawling adventuring party has come upon a treasure chest. What do you hope to find inside?
High quality gear
A detailed map for the rest of the dungeon
A quest-related item
A disgruntled gnome
Tomes containing lost history of the region