What Gamer Type are You?
1. Your friend is explaining the rules to a new board game, and it's taking forever. What are you doing while he talks?
Determing who to go after first.
Building towers out of your pieces.
Texting your other friend under the table.
Glancing through all the text / imagery on the board.
Playing close attention and thinking about how mechanics interact.
Interrupting him every two minutes to ask questions.
2. You're teaching your young niece a new game. Which lesson do you hope to impart the most?
3. It's a boring day at work. What are you doing to keep yourself from falling asleep?
Re-organizing office supplies.
Catching up on a bunch of little tasks that slipped through the cracks.
Chatting with your friends.
Clicking your pen. Repeatedly.
Planning ahead. There might be something you can do now to save you some time when you're busy again.
4. It's 1869 and you're arriving in a bustling frontier town from back east. What sort of job do you seek out?
Whichever one pays me the most.
A job on the railroad to keep from being in any one place too long.
Taverns are always fun, regardless of the era.
Banking is ideal for me in this new location.
As a jack of all trades, I'll go for whatever occupation the town is in the most need for.
I didn't come for a job. My intent is to find a nice piece of land and build a new home for myself.
5. If you could pick one of these game shows to be on, which would it be?
Who Wants to Be A Millionaire
Wheel of Fortune
Deal or No Deal
The Price is Right
6. The zombie apocalypse is upon us! What's your preferred method of survival?
Gather your friends together and hope you all make it. Somehow.
You've been waiting for this day. Time to head out and start wracking up the kill count.
Stock up on the essentials and try to cope with the situation.
You've watched movies on this. Grab your cricket bat and head for the nearest pub.
Defend your base and command targeted missions out into the affected area.
7. Which of the following game types seems the most appealing to you?
One with high player interactions
One with a variety of tactics
One with a rich story background
One with multiple paths to victory
One with a good degree of chance
One with clear goals
8. You're planning for a big evening party at your house. Where is your focus for it during the hours beforehand?
Whatever extra steps are necessary to make sure it's memorable.
Shopping to make sure you'll have enough food and drink for the guests.
Sending out last minute invitations and directions.
Prep..ar..a..tion? None needed. These things just work themselves out.
Cleaning up the place and hiding the breakables.
Making a great playlist.
9. You are sent to jail in Monopoly. How do you react?
"Whatever. I'll just roll."
"Jail? The whole game is annoying me."
"I can spare one of my Get out Jail Free Cards."
"It was doubles that got me here; it'll be doubles that get me out."
"I'll pay the $50 and move on."
"Hey guys, come meet me at Just Visiting!"
10. You're nearing the end of a lengthy game, and you will win on your final move. However, in order to win you'll have to betray a long-term ally. What are you thinking?
In a heartbeat. It was an alliance of convenience anyway.
I'd prefer not to, but I've invested too much to stop now.
Nah. It's only a game.
It really depends on the circumstances.
I'll do it only if I absolutely have to, and only if I'm safe from retribution.
I didn't originally think I had a shot, but since I'm here...
11. You and your colleagues / classmates have been assigned a paper that's due in a week. How do you approach the task?
Grab a blank page and just start writing.
Once you're comfortable with your resources, you find yourself a nice quiet corner and hammer it all out.
You give yourself a day for research, a day for organizing, and a day to write it.
Find a collaborator to talk about your plans.
Dig into the pile of references you already have picked out.
Collect yourself and your materials, analyze the information you have, and start mapping a mental outline.
12. Of those listed, what was your favorite childhood game?
Red Light, Green Light
Duck, Duck Goose
Hide and Seek
13. Your friend brings over a brand new game for this week's game night and the box really impresses you. What do you like most about it?
It appears to be a fairly short, fast-paced game.
All the different races, classes, and buildings laid out on the front.
It has a nice clear objective posted.
For 5-20 players! We can all play at once!
The cleverly written description on the back.
Nothing. The box doesn't matter as long as the game is good.
14. You are playing a somewhat complex game for the first time with more experienced players. How will you approach the game?
Try to figure out a basic strategy and see if it works.
Just wing it.
Use the political power of conversation to offset in my gaps of understanding.
Base your tactics off what feels most right within the game's theme.
Make an educated guess on the best tactic to compete with the experienced players.
Find a way of acquiring resources while trying to upset the least amount of people.
15. Another player backstabs you at the beginning of a game. How do you react?
It was well-played. You mostly ignore the strike and move on.
Fortify your defenses, and build your strength until someone else weakens the other player. Then, strike with minimal losses.
Tease them mercilessly for the rest of the night.
Plan cold, hard revenge.
You don't know without more detail, as it would depend on many factors.