What Gamer Type are You?
1. Your friend brings over a brand new game for this week's game night and the box really impresses you. What do you like most about it?
For 5-20 players! We can all play at once!
It appears to be a fairly short, fast-paced game.
It has a nice clear objective posted.
Nothing. The box doesn't matter as long as the game is good.
The cleverly written description on the back.
All the different races, classes, and buildings laid out on the front.
2. Of those listed, what was your favorite childhood game?
Duck, Duck Goose
Hide and Seek
Red Light, Green Light
3. Another player backstabs you at the beginning of a game. How do you react?
You don't know without more detail, as it would depend on many factors.
Tease them mercilessly for the rest of the night.
Fortify your defenses, and build your strength until someone else weakens the other player. Then, strike with minimal losses.
Plan cold, hard revenge.
It was well-played. You mostly ignore the strike and move on.
4. If you could pick one of these game shows to be on, which would it be?
The Price is Right
Wheel of Fortune
Deal or No Deal
Who Wants to Be A Millionaire
5. You are sent to jail in Monopoly. How do you react?
"It was doubles that got me here; it'll be doubles that get me out."
"I'll pay the $50 and move on."
"Jail? The whole game is annoying me."
"Hey guys, come meet me at Just Visiting!"
"I can spare one of my Get out Jail Free Cards."
"Whatever. I'll just roll."
6. Well, you didn't play that very well. You've made a rather significant miscalculation, and now you don't stand a chance of victory. How do you cope?
Mental note - 'that did not work'. You won't do that again, but now is a good time to try out some other strategy.
Laugh it off.
You might not be able to win, but you'll last until the end. Shore up your defenses and sit out the siege.
You wish you could remember what you did so that you won't make the same mistake twice, but alas. Moving on..
Curse yourself, and spend the rest of the game annoying the remaining players.
Try to rebuild your wealth. You may not finish with the gold, but you still won't give up the chance at silver.
7. What is your LEAST important factor when choosing a game to play?
Rules / Mechanics
Theme / Flavor
8. Your dungeon-crawling adventuring party has come upon a treasure chest. What do you hope to find inside?
A quest-related item
A disgruntled gnome
High quality gear
Tomes containing lost history of the region
A detailed map for the rest of the dungeon
9. You and your colleagues / classmates have been assigned a paper that's due in a week. How do you approach the task?
You give yourself a day for research, a day for organizing, and a day to write it.
Grab a blank page and just start writing.
Once you're comfortable with your resources, you find yourself a nice quiet corner and hammer it all out.
Find a collaborator to talk about your plans.
Dig into the pile of references you already have picked out.
Collect yourself and your materials, analyze the information you have, and start mapping a mental outline.
10. You're planning for a big evening party at your house. Where is your focus for it during the hours beforehand?
Making a great playlist.
Prep..ar..a..tion? None needed. These things just work themselves out.
Sending out last minute invitations and directions.
Cleaning up the place and hiding the breakables.
Whatever extra steps are necessary to make sure it's memorable.
Shopping to make sure you'll have enough food and drink for the guests.
11. Which of the following game types seems the most appealing to you?
One with a good degree of chance
One with high player interactions
One with clear goals
One with a rich story background
One with a variety of tactics
One with multiple paths to victory
12. Your friend is explaining the rules to a new board game, and it's taking forever. What are you doing while he talks?
Determing who to go after first.
Texting your other friend under the table.
Interrupting him every two minutes to ask questions.
Glancing through all the text / imagery on the board.
Building towers out of your pieces.
Playing close attention and thinking about how mechanics interact.
13. It's a boring day at work. What are you doing to keep yourself from falling asleep?
Re-organizing office supplies.
Clicking your pen. Repeatedly.
Chatting with your friends.
Catching up on a bunch of little tasks that slipped through the cracks.
Planning ahead. There might be something you can do now to save you some time when you're busy again.
14. The zombie apocalypse is upon us! What's your preferred method of survival?
Defend your base and command targeted missions out into the affected area.
You've watched movies on this. Grab your cricket bat and head for the nearest pub.
Stock up on the essentials and try to cope with the situation.
Gather your friends together and hope you all make it. Somehow.
You've been waiting for this day. Time to head out and start wracking up the kill count.
15. It's 1869 and you're arriving in a bustling frontier town from back east. What sort of job do you seek out?
Banking is ideal for me in this new location.
I didn't come for a job. My intent is to find a nice piece of land and build a new home for myself.
Whichever one pays me the most.
As a jack of all trades, I'll go for whatever occupation the town is in the most need for.
Taverns are always fun, regardless of the era.
A job on the railroad to keep from being in any one place too long.