Welcome back to Vox Republica, the Cardboard Republic Podcast!
We post new episodes every other Thursday, with each episode being about 45 minutes long.
Vox Republica is proudly supported by our Patreon. Consider contributing today!
DESCRIPTION: What does it take to create a board game cafe? It’s something many of us dream about doing, but aside from the desire to do it and a lot of hard work, what else is required to get such a dream off the ground? This week, Erin and Ryan invite on Kathleen Miller of the upcoming House Rules Cafe to get the details. There may also be some talk about games and the 2016 Laurels.
GUESTS: Kathleen Miller
RECENTLY PLAYED GAMES – (01:46):
- New York Slice by Bezier Games
- Islebound by Red Raven Games
- Ponzi Scheme by Tasty Minstrel Games
- One Deck Dungeon by Asmadi Games
QUICK TOPICS – (16:22):
- It’s that time of the year again. We are happy to announce the nominees for the CR’s 2016 Laurels – our nominees for the 2016 games of the year. You can check out the full list here, and stay tuned in a couple weeks when start rolling out the winners!
FEATURED TOPIC – (18:40):
- Kathleen Miller and her crew are in the process of creating House Rules Cafe in Hudson, New York, deciding to take the brave steps that so many gamers dream about doing. We explore not only why she wanted to take on this endeavor, but what she plans to make this gaming cafe as accommodating as possible. Topics include:
- How her background in the service industry prior to creating the cafe shaped her planning
- The central tenants she insists for her cafe with regards to openness and inclusivity
- How nebulous the whole definition of a ‘gaming cafe’ can be
- What products and services she plans to offer and how it compares to other gaming cafes
- Her current Kickstarter perks being offered to future potential patrons
- Who she hopes to entice into her store and why she isn’t planning to cater solely to gamers for her business
- The difference between a milkshake and a frappe. (Such things are important.)
- And more!
PLUGS – (1:02:13):
- We reviewed the digital version of Colt Express!
- We’re also also raffling off a copy of Grifters to a lucky Patreon backer. Consider donating today!
- As always, Cardboard Republic YouTube videos, Instagram pictures, and the BGG Guild are still ongoing. Subscribe to one or two – or all of them if you really love us. You do really love us, right?
Audio Credits: Intro music track is “Swing!” by Bargo!, used under Creative Commons license.